A job interview is a critical step in the job search process and can make or break your chances of getting hired. Here are 10 must-dos for candidates during a job interview:
- Research the company: Before the interview, research the company’s mission, values, products, and services. This will show the interviewer that you are genuinely interested in the company and the role.
- Prepare answers to common questions: Prepare answers to common interview questions such as “Why do you want to work for this company?”, “What are your strengths and weaknesses?”, and “Why should we hire you?”.
- Dress professionally: Dress in attire that is appropriate for the company and the role. This shows that you are taking the interview seriously and respect the company.
- Be punctual: Arrive on time for the interview (or even 10 minuets early). Being punctual shows that you are reliable and respectful of the interviewer’s time.
- Be positive and enthusiastic: Be positive and enthusiastic about the role and the company during the interview. This will help to create a good impression and show that you are excited about the opportunity. Don’t forget to smile!!
- Be honest: Be honest about your qualifications, experience, and skills. Don’t exaggerate or falsify information, as this can come back to haunt you later.
- Ask questions: Prepare a list of questions to ask the interviewer. This will show that you are interested in the role and the company and it also gives you an opportunity to gather more information about the position.
- Show your skills and experience: Show how your skills and experience align with the role and the company. Provide specific examples that demonstrate your qualifications.
- Follow up after the interview: Send a thank-you note or email to the interviewer after the interview. This shows that you are still interested in the role and it also keeps you in the interviewer’s mind.
- Reflect on the interview: Reflect on the interview and think about what you could have done better. Use this information to improve your interview skills for future interviews.
In conclusion, a job interview is a critical step in the job search process and there are several things candidates should do to make the most of the opportunity. By being prepared on the above steps you can only increase your chances of getting hired.